In line with our belief in using your platform for good and our brand deeply committed to social responsibility, we've prepared a simple guide on what concrete actions we can take in light of the recent events in our own country and beyond.
1. Educate yourself.
Brutality, racism, facism, bigotry—these issues do not just stop when the hashtags aren't trending anymore. Learn to understand these issues around you so you'd know how to identify them and make better decisions in situations of injustice.
SUGGESTED READINGS & FILMS:
○ The 1987 Constitution of the Philippines Article III: Bill of Rights
○ What is the Anti-Terrorism Bill?
○ Blacks Lives Matter Movement
○ Women, Race, and Class by Angela Davis
○ The Conjugal Dictatorship by Primitivo Mijares
○ How to Talk to Your Family About Racism
2. Sign petitions.
MOVEMENTS YOU CAN SUPPORT:
○ Junk Terror Bill
○ Save Lumad Schools
○ Black Lives Matter
○ Justice For Floyd
Note: Protect your privacy by using a VPN and/or throwaway e-mail account via www.maildrop.cc.
3. Donate to funds and initiatives.
If you have a little extra to give, you can help alleviate the situations of those who were marginalized or displaced during the crisis. No amount is too small.
CAUSES YOU CAN SUPPORT:
○ Para Kay Manong: a donation drive for displaced jeepney and tricycle drivers
○ Help fund more test kits in the Philippines
○ Help feed Filipino families at risk
○ Project WiFi: Sponsor WiFi for underprivileged Filipino students
○ Financially help BLM with no money by streaming this video
4. Register this July for elections.
Exercise your right to vote this 2020 as voting registration activities resume in July. During this time, learn more about your local politicians and know what they stand and don't stand for. Click here to learn how.
5. Pass it on.
There are multiple ways to show up for those who are underprivileged: donate, sign petitions, share links, call-out (when necessary), educate others, educate yourself, and simply listen.
"You have to act as if it were possible to radically transform the world. And you have to do it all the time." —Angela Davis
This is a non-exhaustive list. Please comment below more resources as you see fit.